Flatness of Nikon AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E's Tripod Collar Foot

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Craftsman70 Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Flatness of Nikon AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E's Tripod Collar Foot

I recently picked up a used AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6e in near-mint condition.  Like many of you, I've standardized on the Arca-type mounting plate.  As such, I decided to put an Arca-type plate on the tripod collar's foot from my old Sigma BIGMA.  I know that the plate is true and flat.  When I placed the mounting plate on the NIkon, I noticed that the front tip of the foot bevelled away from the plate resulting in a small air gap between the plate and the foot near the front edge.  Normally, this won't be a problem as the rest of the foot is flat but the front is where the small tabs are on the plate to prevent the plate from twisting on the foot and the bevel reduces the contact surface on those tabs.

Here's a picture of a similar generic plate that I have -

Generic mounting plate - notice the tabs at the top.

Does anyone use this type of generic plate on their lens?  And has anyone found any issues with it?

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow