A bit about orchids

Started 4 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
A bit about orchids

Orchids are the most divers plants on earth.  They range from plants that grow and flower underground to giants that a few meters tall and vines.

Dendrobium discolor has canes that are up to about two meters long.  They grow very well on trees.

close up of the flower.

I have a least five species of Dendrobium growing on my bottle brush tree.

Most of the Dendrobiums I grow are very tough.  As long as they like the spot you put them, they can be attached to the tree with anything from panty hose to roofing nails.

Once, I had my tree pruned and one of the canes was cut off the tree with a chain saw.  I left it in the fork of the tree and it started to grow.  The fork of the tree has closed up on it and killed the first cane but it has made more shoots that are growing well.

Some Dendrobium discolor seed landed on a branch of this tree and there was a line of more than ten.  All but the one that was in the perfect spot died and the one that lived is making flowers now.

All Dendrobium flowers has the heal on the flower that is shown here.

The soft cane ones come in several different colors.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow