How do you shoot steady handheld?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
emma_2021
emma_2021 Regular Member • Posts: 170
How do you shoot steady handheld?

Hi all,

I have a Sony A6000, which doesn't have IBIS. For the lens, I usually use the Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS (stabilized), but yesterday I went out with my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (not stabilized) for the first time.

With the stabilized Sony lens, I can shoot at 1/60 without blur sometimes, 1/80 usually, and 1/100 almost always.

But with the unstabilized Sigma lens, a couple of my 1/200 shots had camera shake! I know this because I checked at the time and then took the same shot again but with a faster shutter.

This really surprised me! 1/200 on the Sigma seems only as reliable for me as 1/80 on the Sony, even though the Sony is much more zoomed in. With the Sony, I would have to have really sloppy technique to get blur at 1/200.

I thought my overall technique was good, but maybe it isn't?

I usually look at the LCD (much easier for me most of the time than using the EVF), press my elbows into my ribs quite firmly, breathe all the way out, hold my breath, and try to take the photo between heartbeats. I try to caress the shutter button, and I try to hold the camera completely still even after I have let go of the shutter button.

Do you have any tips? I don't think my hands are particularly shaky. I've googled this a lot and watched YouTube videos, and I'm not finding any tips in those resources that I don't already know. I thought maybe someone here might have more insight.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow