R5 + EF100-400 is 1/1000th second just too slow?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 851
R5 + EF100-400 is 1/1000th second just too slow?

I'm not getting the IQ I expected from my R5 + EF100-400. The pictures just aren't acceptably sharp. I have to spend some time with the lens on a tripod and hand held shooting at various shutter speeds with image stab on and off. However, I would think 1/1000 sec would be fast enough to get a sharp shot. In the picture attached, if you zoom in and look at the labels on the left and right sides at bottom of the black and white shirt you can see this double image. At first I thought, I wasn't steady enough because if you look at the turf, nothing is in focus, but I see it in just about every picture at all different speeds with IS on at lower speeds and higher speeds with IS off. Look at the lettering on the ball. You can see the edges are double. This was shot hand held, 1/1000 sec, IS off, focus limited 3meters-infinity.

I will say that I got nice sharp pictures with my old Sony A7iii and 100-400GM lens at 1/1000 sec.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow