LED G8 bulb to replace modeling light in old monolight?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,914
LED G8 bulb to replace modeling light in old monolight?

I got an old Neewer C-180 monolight in a lot of camera miscellany at a thrift sale.

The strobe seems fine (after scaring me near to death...geez those capacitors hold a lot of juice; the bulb was loose and arced after the light was turned on and off when I put it down :).

The bulb for the modeling light appears to be a G8 two pin halogen; it's marked 75W (I assume halogen but not sure).

I'm wondering if I could replace the modeling bulb with an LED of sufficient or better brightness (they use less power, so I'm thinking that this monolight might actually have more life and get more use as continuous lighting). I just hate to see equipment go to waster.

Lots of the discussion of LEDs has to do with dimming (I use household and vehicle LEDs a lot, so familiar with the issue). But this monolight is a budget one and has no dimming for the modeling light.

I just need to know about the safety of trying an LED, not about use of LED lighting itself.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow