Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 for Infra red

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
flbrit
OP flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,739
Re: Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 for Infra red

maggiemole wrote:

flbrit wrote:

Anyone used this lens for IR at say 720. Any hot spots noticed.

No experience as I don’t have this lens. But Edward Noble puts forward the idea that some filters reduce hotspots, notably the IR Chrome filter, and that this could be down to the excellence if its coating. I might test his theory on my 12-35mm lens which produced some hotspots (though not emphatically defined ones). Do other filters have the same kind of coating? My IR Chrome is a very recent acquisition.

there is a huge debate about hotspot causes , another theory is the reflection from the sensor and coatings on the lens elements. therefore as it goes the more elements the higher the probability of hotspots. the aperture seems to also affect hotspots, smaller apertures can increase hotspots in some lenses.

i sold off my ed glass and got the much cheaper lenses just for IR and have been much happier with the performance. the reason i asked about this lens is that its such a useful range of fl's.

-- hide signature --

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony a7R IV Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 50 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow