The Proof is in the Print.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,626
The Proof is in the Print.

(No apologies for the photography pun).

I recently purchased a low end photo printer. After studying some tutorials on how to optimize images for print, I ran a few images. I was quite impressed by the results. The steps involved upsizing PPI/DPI while maintaining overall image size. I anticipated this might make noise more noticeable, but that didn't happen, at least with the images I have thus far printed.

I ran out of photo paper! LOL When I get more, I will try the opposite approach, which will be to use Adobe's "Super Resolution" feature to upsize .ORF files, then adjust print size accordingly. I'm hoping the results will be even better.
People have been saying for years that the high ISO noise weakness of m4/3 is less of an issue when printing. There are various reasons for this, but I didn't anticipate the quality of results I have gotten so far. (I'm sure I have some images that may end up having more apparent noise when printed.)
It makes me wonder if one reason Olympus and Panasonic went with the 4/3 sensor was they were thinking about print results more than about web appearance? Nah...

In any case it gives me pause in my plan to purchase and use FF for certain work intended to print big (up to 30x40") in the future. The money I save sticking with m4/3 could go toward a high end photo printer.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow