Is the X100V lens "magic"?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GivenToFly Forum Member • Posts: 94
Is the X100V lens "magic"?

I'm not too much into image quality, mainly because I don't understand it, lol. I'll look at image samples that someone posts in which the poster talks about softness in the corners, and I look in the corners, and I have no idea what they're talking about.

But I am very interested in that "magical" quality in images. For example, I own an XT20 with a 16mm/1.4 lens, and also a RX100vii (I shoot everything in raw and edit in LR). The RX100vii is fantastic for what it is -- absolutely fantastic -- but the images (after processing) ultimately often leave me a bit cold and mechanical. I don't know if it's the sensor, or the lens, or my personal subjective perception, or if I'm totally full of it and would never pass a blind taste test. Nonetheless, the XT20 combo, in contrast, produces images that, for me, are just magical and sublime. So I use the RX100vii for certain purposes (basically when I want something light and pocketable on me, primarily for hikes and also when I'm traveling and just want something pocketable or light), but would never choose it over the XT20 when size doesn't matter.

Another example is that I see a lot of people talking about the Fuji 18-55mm being great for what it does and having certain advantages (size, weight, etc), but that it lacks that magical quality of the Fuji 16-55.

I've read a lot about the X100V and people rave about the image quality. But that seems to be more about the traditional metrics (e.g., sharpness). Moreover, I rarely find reviews or discussions that talk about cameras and lenses relative to other options, e.g., while I read many reviews about the RX100 or RX10 having fantastic lenses, these reviews almost never compare them to the best lenses you can get on a crop or FF camera and whether the RX100/RX10 are fantastic even in comparison (even if inferior), or simply aren't even in the ballpark of high quality ILC lenses and are only fantastic for what they do.

So I would love to get peoples' opinions on the X100V and whether they feel the camera and lens produce magical results (particularly when shooting in raw and then editing). I have read here or there people talking about the X100V ultimately being a compromise like everything else with photography gear, but still haven't really found the kind of views and insights I'm looking for. I'm considering replacing my RX100vii with the X100V and accepting the tradeoffs (fixed lens, somewhat bigger and heavier camera, etc) IF that magical component is actually meaningfully different and present with the X100V in a way that I find lacking with the RX100vii. Of course, only I ultimately can judge that for myself, but it would help to know what others think, either based on their own personal, subjective opinions, or based on discussions or what they've seen others say or comment on.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow