A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,277
Re: A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

In the case of the 50/1.8, the comparison is invalid because the Z mount 50 is *a lot* better than the F mount 50/1.8 lens. Even if we stayed in F mount, the 58/1.4G or the Sigma 50/1.4 Art, both considerably superior to the 50/1.8G or AFD, are bigger lenses, so in this case, it's apples and oranges.

The Z mount allows for the potential of better optics at the wide to normal range and we're already seeing this. I've shot all variants of the F mount 24-70/2.8 zoom, and the Z mount 24-70/2.8S is lighter, smaller, and optically quite a bit better. So if you were to run a D850 plus 24-70/2.8E VR against Z7-II with 24-70/2.8S comparison, the mirrorless wins, *and* you'd have a better lens.

These sorts of comparisons are tricky because the best in class F mount glass (and frankly very little of it is Nikon brand), are huge/heavy F/1.4 designs. Can't fairly compare them against F/1.8 Z mount designs. However, I'll say this, while there certainly are some lenses in F mount that are better than anything in Z at the moment, they are also much bigger/heavier and as such, what the Z mount combination offers is weight savings perhaps with a corresponding "not quite as good" optical performance that still may lie within the threshold of when good enough is good enough for a user. It's not so cut and dry.

One of the things I'm working out personally over the "offseason" for me is that as a dual system shooter (D850, D800E with best in class F mount glass along side a Z7, the amazing 20/1.8S and 24-70/2.8S zooms) is what combination of my collection offers me some weight and portability savings while still offering very high image quality, and early indications based on some ongoing large print tests are that I'll likely carry the D850 with the Zeiss 25/1.4 and Zeiss 135/2 Apo Sonnar and use the Z7 with the 20/1.8S and either the 24-70/2.8S zoom or some other Z primes to fill in the gaps in between, and that will be a lighter kit than my previous all dslr/f mount lens kit for sure.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow