Finding that modern Tamron lenses wont work on EOS 3 (film Camera)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
reflux83
reflux83 Junior Member • Posts: 35
Finding that modern Tamron lenses wont work on EOS 3 (film Camera)

I started to dive back in to shoot some film and dusted off an old EOS 3. This was after I got rid of a bulk of my Canon glass when I switched to Sony. So I have been attempting to reacquire some EF glass by grabbing some interesting lenses from the used case at my local camera shop. I picked up a Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD G2. It focus's just fine but I have no aperture control, it just shows 04. Same deal with the SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD. But then the SP 45mm f1.8 Di VC USD has a different problem I have aperture control but no autofocus. The only Tamron glass that I have found to work on the EOS 3 is the original SP 24-70 f2.8 Di VC USD and the original  SP 15-30 F2.8 Di VC USD. I would imagine if I had the G2 versions of either of those lenses I would have similar issues as stated above.

I have the Sigma Art 135mm 1:1.8 DG. works great and the same with Sigma Art 105 1:1.4 DG. Even with the somewhat small sample size I think it is safe to assume that any Tamron glass made in the last 5-10 years may not work on an old Film EOS body.

That leaves me with one question, (might be a longshot) does anyone have any experience with more modern Tamron Glass on Canon's last film body the EOS 1v. Is it the same as the EOS 3 or is the compatibly better due to a slight more updated AF  protocols?

reflux83's gear list:reflux83's gear list
Canon PowerShot A630 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow