A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,149
Re: A point about the DSLR/.vs./MIRRORLESS

Bruce Ferjulian wrote:

So all the hype about mirrorless was for size and weight but so far all the mirrorless lenses are larger than their previous counterparts. This is not a scientific analysis but this is a 30k/ft comparison using a 50mm lens which shows the differences are still minor.

That seems to be your take on mirrorless. That was never my view of mirrorless. The mirrorless bodies are smaller and lighter. But anyone who thought lenses were going to be smaller doesn't really understand camera gear.

Add to that the trend to make top notch lenses with high end IQ and you end up with even bigger lenses. I'm sure this is due in large part to be able to compete in a shrinking market. You chose an old lens to compare. Take a look at the Sigma 50mm for F mount. 3.36 x 3.93" / 85.34 x 99.82 mm and 815 g.  Yes, it's f/1.4.  But if Sigma made an f/1.8 version it would be just as big as the Nikon.

But again, I don't own mirrorless gear for the size and weight. I own it for the advantages it brings to the table over mirrorless. I have a small Fujifilm X-E3 with small f/2 primes for those times when I really do want a small travel package. I would never want to use a camera that small as my workhorse for serious photography.

Mirrorless has an EVF. If you don't like an EVF then mirrorless is not an option. AF (at least with Nikon cameras) is a mixed bag. Some things are better (no AF fine tune, more consistent focus) and some are worse (AF acquisition and tracking for action).

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow