Dipping a toe in Z water

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,654
Dipping a toe in Z water

I`ve been running Nikon DSLRs for work since canon failed to replace the 1DS MK3 and the D800E appeared and now and have run a D850 for some time .. so thought it was time to see if Nikon Z can add my job with the thought of replacing later on - I`m sure the Z7-II and especially Z9 will have better AF (I never need tracking , just S-AF in all light) but a cheap Orig Z7 Nikon "Refurb" (they use the term Refurb very lightly - the grip rubber near the camera looks "Worried" from nails from the webshop pics and they`ve NOT updated the firmware !) it`ll give me an idea .. I`ve a mount adapter coming too ..

I`ve downloaded many real world Z7 Mk1 samples from the galley here at various ISos and pushed them and not seen any banding to speak of , I have XQD cards , all looks pretty much the same as I`m getting from the D850 ..

Lenses are Nikon 24-70 F2.8 Orig , 70-200VR MK1 , an amazing if now rather tatty copy of the 24-85VR , a Superb Sigma 24-105 F4 ART , various primes some of which will become manual focus due to needing a body motor and a good copy of the Sigma 18-200 OS-C which will turn the thing into a Z50 . .

Some Questions if you please..

I`ll update the firmware for the AF improvements - but will my Hahnel Batteries become unusable like they did on the D850 when I did the CF-Express firmware update ? - I don`t care about CFE as I have XQD cards and did the D850 one automatically without thinking .

Any tips on getting the most from Single AF from a DSLR users perspective ? - I believe from reviews that pinpoint AF is all over the place accuracy wise so can you resize the non pinpoint one to a small target like a Panasonic ?

Do Sigma ART/Contemporary lenses use the IBIS or the lens IS ? (Hopefully a choice because the 24-105 ARTs OS is Fantastic but the 18-200`s is weak

I`m guessing you can select EFC to kill shutter shock

I`m looking forward to this "Pocket-D850" - My thoughts are that if it works out as a side by side with my current work rig with the adapter (it`ll replace my D810 as second/backup) , I`ll firstly  get the cheap F4 24-70 for compactness to replace my falling to bits 24-85VR and the 24-200 which I`m sure will possibly replace my G9 + 14-140-II for personal leisure pics . later on in the game the fast 24-70 along with a D850 replacement Z like the Z9

Thanks

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
Canon EOS-1Ds Casio Exilim EX-Z9 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow