Problem with automatic ISO in silent mode

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bob P cz New Member • Posts: 5
Problem with automatic ISO in silent mode

I use E-M10ii and I shoot most often in "A" mode with automatic ISO, limited to the range 200 - 1600. When ISO is raised to keep an exposure, there is a problem after switching from normal shutter to silent mode. Example:

- Mechanical shutter: 1/100 and iso=800
- Silent mode: 1/25 and iso=200

I think that this is caused by auto ISO algorithm which is for some reason considering "Flash slow limit" as minimal exposure time for auto-ISO. With mechanical shutter it takes a value from the "Flash slow limit" setting, but in silent mode / electronic shutter it takes a value of 1/20 or similar. I'm talking about shooting without flash only.

I don't want to cry how it repeatedly ruined important pictures for me. I'm interested to know, what is the behaviour of newer cameras like E-M10iv, E-M5iii, E-M1iii in the same situation. One possible workaround on those newer cameras would be for sure "M" mode with auto-ISO + exposure compensation (which is not possible on E-M10ii), but I am explicitely interested in the behaviour in "A" mode.

It would be also interesting to hear how this works on Panasonic cameras.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow