DTP20 with X-Rite Pulse Color Elite on a Win 10 64 bit system.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,460
About the ColorMunki Photo (my experience)

It's making me think about another profiler. Does the Color Munki Photo work well? How many test patches?

I find that the ColorMunki Photo works well by my standards. Although limited testing indicates I have good to very good color acuity, I'm strictly an amateur. Also, I have nothing to compare to which to compare my ColorMunki Photo profiles other than canned profiles, so maybe e.g. an i1 Photo Pro 3 would produce profiles that allow prints that are visibly better, even to me.

You can use a ColorMunki Photo with e.g. Argyll CMS and make printing profiles with as many patches as you want. But if you use the X-Rite (now Calibrite) software designed for it, the system is unusual. You don't simply print X number of patches and measure them. Instead you print a standard set of 50 patches, measure those, have the software calculate a second set of customized patches--another 50 patches for profiles for regular color printing or 100 patches for profiles for B&W printing--print those, measure those, and let the software build the ICC printing profile. In my use and experience, the profiles built this way are generally as good as or better than the canned profiles I have or can download. But this is mostly for my little old Epson R280 printer; for the Canon Pro-100 we have at work, I have had much better experiences getting good 'canned' profiles.

It used to be that I needed to make profiles. Now a lot of papers have their own to download. Ditched my Espsons, and now running a Canon 4100.

What you say makes sense, for multiple reasons. First, IIRC the Canon Pro-4100 has a self-linearization function that should enable a well-made 'canned' profile to work better with any other Pro-4100. Second, all the major paper companies probably have recently-made, high quality profiles for their papers in the Pro-4100. In many cases the paper company does not offer a profile for my old R280. For the Pro-100 at work, the only profile I had to build with the ColorMunki Photo was for Mitsubishi Pictorico Pro Hi-Gloss White Film, for which there doesn't seem to be a canned profile. I also made profiles for Inkpress Metallic Satin and Inkpress Metallic Glossy because Inkpress just said, 'Use the Canon profiles for Canon X paper, they'll be fine.' I did not really agree. Profiling metallic papers can be tricky, but overall I think the ones I build are probably an improvement.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow