Decent beginner software for D850 video processing on laptop?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,937
Decent beginner software for D850 video processing on laptop?

In a week I am going to the Caribbean on a 2-week scuba diving trip.  I've done this several times before, but this time I want to get into some video.

I'm a total newbie with video, particularly with the D850.  I've tried it very briefly, and I immediately had issues with autofocus during video and white balance. (Color grading?)

I can't do anything about the AF issues other than shoot subjects that don't move much, but I should be able to get a short video that has more-or-less-correct colors.  Or better yet, the color I want.   I'll be shooting in dim, underwater ambient lighting for the most part, in an environment where there really isn't much color besides blue, but even without adding light, I'd like to make the colors look more like they were at the surface.

When shooting stills I shoot in RAW and use an eyedropper tool to sample pixels for a good grey point.  I have no idea how to accomplish the equivalent with video.

My laptop is running Win 10, has 16GB of RAM (maxed) and an I7-8550 CPU.  It has a 500GB SSB boot drive with 108GB used, plus a 930GB SSD data drive, most of which is empty.   That's all the space I have to play with for 2 weeks of shooting.  I'd like to post-process each day's shots that evening, and post some as I go.  For stills I have Lightroom 6.14 stand-alone, plus Photo Mechanic, and the free Nikon software.  I have the monitor calibrated, though I know it's not the best monitor for editing.

This will be a learn-on-the-job self train.   Need something suitable for a beginner, but with a path for growth.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow