1Dx Mark II vs III for theatre and headshots...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027
Re: 1Dx Mark II vs III for theatre and headshots...

My 1DX Mark III is my A camera and my 1DX is my B camera (I use them both during basketball games). Honestly, for what I do I haven't found anything exceptional about the 1DX Mark III over the 1DX. It's nice to have visible focus points in the viewfinder again instead of the dim gray boxes the 1DX has. The CF Express cards are insanely fast. The new AF point selector control is utterly useless.

You might find the head/face tracking in the viewfinder useful. It works in ideal conditions but for me, it takes too long to find a face, it's too easily fooled by other faces, and the sad fact is that it doesn't necessarily focus on faces or heads. All it really does is activate focus points where it thinks a face or head is but if it's obscured by a net or a fence or even a tree branch it's possible that it will focus on that instead. I can identify and track a face faster and more reliably.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow