Current State-of-the-Art in SPP Processing Alternatives?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,733
Re: Current State-of-the-Art in SPP Processing Alternatives?

stansbca wrote:

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Regarding batch mode, I am well aware of that, I guess I was wondering if there was a generally accepted setting that would bake in the majority of data (especially into a 16 bit file) such that another program could make use of it? When I've just batch processed everything "flat" in the past, it seems like a lot of info was tossed (especially in highlights...and I admit to abusing highlight recovery to keep shadow detail).

Not sure what "bake in the majority of data" means, sorry.

At the risk of being banned for life and assuming that speed is a serious issue for your good self - may I suggest the use of a viewer that can extract the embedded JPEGs as-is and batch-save them as TIFFs. XnView is one such and works in a blink of an eye. Here is an embedded JPEG taken from a DP2 Merrill X3F with no post-processing at all other than XnView's TIFF output being converted to JPEG to post here:

XnView is free and is very good. FastStone Viewer might work but I've never batched with it. At my age, I no longer care much about subtle differences between raw and JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, etc., preferring instead to get the exposure right and just push the button!

And if one of your shots turns out to be Masterpiece ... you can always SPP it to your heart's content!

-- hide signature --

Just interested in the technology.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow