Polymer lens cleaning system/Opticlean - anyone using it?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
1DSmII Senior Member • Posts: 1,261
Polymer lens cleaning system/Opticlean - anyone using it?

So I just used the last bit of Opticlean I had left. I think I bought it around 15+ years ago, and it still does a great job. For those who don't know, it's a viscose liquid you paint onto your front lens element, wait for it to dry, and peel it off along with any crud which may have been on the lens. While it doesn't leave the lens surface spotless (the lens still needs a clean to get rid of "coating marks"), it does ensure that any gritty bits don't get pushed around the lens, possibly scratching coatings.

I'm wondering if it (or something like it) is still available? The thought did occur while I was using it that it smells and looks just like glue we have over here in the UK known as "UHU" (not even sure if they make that any more now?!), and I wonder if perhaps that is worth trying as a cheap substitute?

-- hide signature --

Leo S.

1DSmII's gear list:1DSmII's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +22 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow