Reconciling the Thick Lens Model with P2P Optical Bench

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 12,454
Gear

Bernard Delley wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Bernard Delley wrote:

The function f(s) shows a lot of variation. For example the 70-300mm zoom shown in my first post goes down from 300mm to 174mm at MFD.

I assume specifically the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR in your gear list?

I can only see the AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G in my gear list. I have at least one image with the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED in my gallery, but it is now with my daughter in law.

Strange. I must have accidentally looked at someone else's gear list !

The recently measured lens, also pictured in this thread is the AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR. - Sorry to say that it does not load in your optical bench simulator, when I try with my old iMac OS 10.11.6 .

So the link Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR does not work for you?
Strange as it works for me. Perhaps we can sleuth this off-line.

On another zoom the AF-S 70-200mm f/28 G VRII I did not see how to focus to MFD (at the long end).

The patent ( US 8,416,506 ) for the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II doesn't contain any numerical focusing information.

The patent figure does indicate which group moves (G3) and in what direction.

I have considered supplementing such patents with implied focus information but haven't tackled that project yet.

-- hide signature --

It must be an admirable amount of work setting up and maintaining such a site. Bravo !

Thanks. It is non-trivial but I've established a pretty efficient workflow that works with most patents.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow