Sigma Lens temporary freezing Canon EOS M series

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Toze3
Toze3 Junior Member • Posts: 30
Sigma Lens temporary freezing Canon EOS M series

I noticed a few days agon when I decided to take the combo M6+Sigma 17-70 Contemporary to a walking event that there is a problem with OS function in this combo.

So the problem is when I shutdown the camera with the OS selector ON. The camera will be freeze (not turn on) during aproximatelly a minute. Until emit a chattering noise. If I was using the OS and imediatelly before poweroff the camera swith the OS selector to OFF, the camera power off ok and I ear the chattering noise from the lens. This is the same when working with other cameras, including the original M. If I didnt use the OS at all there is no chattering noise.

The sigma lens manual states something regarding this minute to the OS became active, but just to alert that could take some time to the OS became effective I think. Not related with this problem, but could be also related somehow.

NOTICE (Except Sony / Pentax)
This lens is powered from the camera. The stabilizer unit will be placed to a specific position in the lens body and then shooting will be possible (stabilizer unit will switch to active status) regardless of the OS Switch position. The active status will take approximately a minute from turning the camera on or depressing the shutter button “half-way”.

An user explaind the following that could be the reason for the problem that SIGMA didn't solve:

When you adapt an EF or EF-S lens to your M2, both AF and IS will activate with a half press of the shutter button and then later time out. This behavior is identical to a DSLR. Starting with the M3, Canon changed their programming and now the IS mechanism activates as soon as you turn on the camera. The IS never times out and will continue whirring away even if you are in image review. All subsequent M series cameras are affected by this issue and it appear the new EOS R is affect too.

So I did some research in the forum and found that I'm not alone and there are other lens that suffer from this problem. The most affected SIGMA adapted lens on M with reported problems are the following, but could exist more:

• Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 Contemporary 013
  • Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM
  • Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM
  • Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sport? or Contemporary?

Here are some reported cases in the Forum of irresponsive camera after shutdown with OS selector ON:

• M6 + Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 C 013 (USER: Toze3)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 C 013 (USER: Specialbiker)
  • M? + Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 C 013 (USER: jcm65)
  • M3 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: Oliver Bedford)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: amenamen)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: borno)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: Dshae)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: jacoblee)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: MSega)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: Woodman411)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: Specialbiker)
  • M5 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: Burner100)
  • M50 + Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS HSM (USER: Burner100)
  • M3 + Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM (USER: Scooterch)
  • M3 + Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM (USER: Runnicle)
  • M3 + Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM (USER: MikeJ9116)
  • M5 + Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM (USER: Scooterch)
  • M? + Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 DG DN OS S/C (USER: ptrhns)

I would like to know if there are more with this problem, and hoping that this could take some attention of Sigma to solve this out.

Toze3's gear list:Toze3's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX300M +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow