Dynamic range

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ian J99 Junior Member • Posts: 41
Dynamic range

This, I suspect, may turn out to be a very stupid question, but I'm relatively new to this so please bear with me!

I have purchased an Olympus OMD EM1 mkiii based really on not a lot other than about 50 years ago I had an Olympus OMD.

With the highlight and shadow indicators on the landscape pictures I'm taking seem to often show large areas of red (highlights blown) and it is either impossible to remove these using exposure compensation or before the red indicators disappear the blue ones to show the shadows are black appear. So it seems I may not have made the best purchase.

In a scene with a lot of blown highlights I have used spot metering, at iso 200, and the exposure for the highlights was 1/60 at f22 and for the shadows 1/8 at f4.

What I don't understand is that according to the DXO web site the camera has about 12.8 ev of dynamic range at base iso (200), but by my calculations  for the above difference is 3evs for the shutter speeds  (1/15, 1/30, 1/60) and 5 evs for the aperture (f5.6, f8, f11,f16, f22) making a total of 8 evs so if the camera has a range of 12.8 evs why does anything in this image show as over exposed?

As I said I'm sure there is a huge error somewhere in my expectations or assumptions - I just don't know what it is!

Thanks for your help.

Ian

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow