Choosing a beauty dish

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Creevey Regular Member • Posts: 389
Choosing a beauty dish

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at buying my first beauty dish and looking for some guidance. I've done some research but there are still a lot of holes in my understanding. I know there is not going to be one case fits all so I can see myself buying another dish or two in the future.

I know I want to buy a sock and grid for the beauty dish and am leaning towards a rigid design over a folding design. I am also leaning towards a white interior over silver.

I own Godox gear (QT series and AD series) myself but some of the time I rent a studio that has Elinchrom on hand.

1. My first question relates to size and brand.

I read here that Ellis Vener believes all mainstream beauty dishes produce fairly similar light quality these days (with the exception of Mola). I had considered getting a Mola but wasn't sure if I should get one as my first BD or down the track.

What brand would you recommend or do you agree with Ellis that other than Mola they are all very similar.  Putting price aside, thoughts on getting a Mola as my first BD?

As for the size, I see Mola range from 22 inch to 43 inch. I've seen some dishes go as small as 16 inch but I feel that most go for something between 22 inch and 28 inch. Advise regarding size?
2. I am hoping to find a BD that I can use on both Bowens and Elinchrom mount.  Looking over the Mola dishes I can see that I can buy mounts for both (even if they are a bit expensive).
I am wondering, are there many other BDs with a similar interchangeable mount?  I was attracted to this Elinchrom BD mainly because it is all a kit but I don't believe the mount is interchangeable.  I know there are adaptors like these that allow Elinchrom mounts to be adapted to Bowens but I have no experience with these am concerned that it will offset the flash tube considerably. 
Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow