Any love for GIMP ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,473
AP vs. GIMP, non-destructive issue

But GIMP has, and is not even supposed to overcome in the next major version (the forthcoming but we don't know when 3.0) the huge limitation for serious photo work that 90% of its operations are destructive--in the sense that instead of writing a set of instructions that are incorporated into the on-screen preview and stored to be incorporated into the next render-and-export, but may be modified or cancelled at any time--and actually modify the underlying pixels (in memory, not on disk unless you export over the source file). So you cannot undo or even modify them without first undoing everything you've done after them, and thereby losing all subsequent work.

Just a question. I fintd it strange if Afinity works like Lightroom or DXO where every local operation you do default to a new layer? That's the only way I can understand that you can add changes without working with the underlaying pixels.

If you as an example adjust Saturation, you automatically get an adjustment layer?

I think the terminology of "layer" is confusing. Different software and different people use it in different ways. Affinity Photo has things it calls "live filters" and "adjustment layers" (and other things). If I tell it to add a saturation adjustment--we can call it whatever--the control pops up, I set it as desired, I close the control, and then it is added to the list of controls in a panel on the screen. I can also add a mask to most and maybe all of these controls, so that they affect only a local area, or affect different areas of the image to different extents. Also, I can scroll up and down that panel and disable or modify any of those controls at any time, and I can re-enable any control I've disabled, as long as I don't actually delete it. If I save the edited image in Affinity Photo's native format, then in my next session I can go back and change, disable, re-enable, or delete any of those controls. When I export the image to a TIFF or JPEG or whatever, Affinity Photo renders all of the enabled controls into the version it is exporting.

Not all operations in Affinity Photo are totally non-destructive, and not all operations in GIMP are destructive. However, my sense from using both is that 80 - 90% of the adjustments I perform in Affinity Photo are non-destructive, and 80 - 90% of the adjustments I perform in GIMP are destructive.

And for me, that, plus the differences in color management, are strong incentives to use Affinity Photo instead of GIMP for most photo work. YMMV.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow