Wild Ponies

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,346
Wild Ponies

My family and I just returned from a few day visit to Assateague National Seashore in Maryland. One of the highlights on Assateague Island are wild Ponies. Nobody is shore how they wound up on the island yet the two primary stories are that:
- A Spanish sailing ship ran aground during a storm and the ponies survived
- The ponies were raised there as an easy place to avoid the cost of fencing and to avoid taxes. The people that raised them were wiped out by a storm

Either way it was amazing to watch them wonder the island living off the land. On our first visit to the island we saw them as soon as we crossed the bridge and then again and again as we drove to different hiking trails. The second day we had gone all morning and did not see any signs of them except horse poop. That was till lunch time when we were eating at a sheltered picnic table near one of the larger parking lots when they walked right past our table and into the lot creating quite a stir. I include a photo of a lady stopping to give the horse space and a ranger's golf cart in the background to ensure people maintain the 40 foot minimum safety zone. While people were good about that space, the ponies walked right past our table getting as close as 6 feet. There was nonplace for us to go when that happened giving us a fantastic look at these gorgeous animals.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow