Improving Panasonic Skin tones in DXO Photolab (GX9)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ChrisFB Regular Member • Posts: 416
Improving Panasonic Skin tones in DXO Photolab (GX9)

I typically like the jpgs from DXO PL better than the SOOC jpgs (GX9) when simply generating the jpgs from RAW based on default settings (as a first pass). Do like the sooc jpgs/colors, but often the DXO standard processing provides a bit more pop and slightly sharper images.

That said, sometimes the skin tones can be too red (imo) when the SOOC jpgs look great from a skin tone perspective (again, imo). Following the recent discussion in this thread on Olympus colors, I played around again with choosing the rendering of a different camera body (i.e. in the color tab, don't keep 'Generic camera' rendering, but pick 'Camera body' and then some body from the pick list).

Tried this before with many bodies, mostly from Canon, but never found one that I like better than the default all the time. Until (perhaps?) yesterday:
Picking Panasonic SH1,..(and a few other bodies), which is the only Panasonic line, strangely enough, the skin tones look much more like the SOOC jpgs, while the rest of the colors still look good like the default.

I now batch processed around 100 photos based on default settings + Panasonic body rendering, and the result looks nowhere wrong, skintones look good.

If you don't like the default skin tones, give it a try and let us know what you think!

Chris

ChrisFB's gear list:ChrisFB's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow