Nikon Z 35mm (S) vs Z 40mm f/2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Vargur78 New Member • Posts: 10
Nikon Z 35mm (S) vs Z 40mm f/2

Good day to everyone!

I was just about to press the button and order the Z 35mm f/1.8 for my Z5. I am living in Cyprus so all in all with tax and delivery it comes to 1.000 euro from amazon. Throughout my journey with NIKON I never had any of the prime fix lenses (especially S line) but always had one camera - one lens (D5300 with 16-80 f/2.8, D750 with 24-70 f/2.8 and now Z5 with kit 24-50) so it's kind of long time expected gift for myself. I've literally checked all existing reviews and youtube videos about this lens with all those "day and night difference IQ, 35mm is a must to have, fantastic lense and so on...". I can't afford buying new lenses everytime I wish to, so it's a very thoughtful step. Last several weeks I set 35mm on my 24-50 kit lens and shooting with this FR only. I like it. Biggest difference for me is that I really have to think of the composition and use my legs to get a picture I want - totally a new experience. Idea was to keep my kit lens for easy family walks (and we are more than happy with IQ) and use Z 35mm for personal satisfaction and creative photos.

But now with 40mm f/2 announced I am confused.

Since I never had any fix lenses I'd appreciate some advices:

Will Z 35mm f 1.8 still be superior over 40mm f/2 in IQ and overall?

Will the Z5 sensor reveal all the advantages of the S line lens?

p.s. The size difference doesn't matter to me. After several years with D750 and 24-70 f/2.8 only I am totally ok with it given how small the Z5 is.

Thank you

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow