Do we get too obsessed by "real"?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
spiffariffic
spiffariffic Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Do we get too obsessed by "real"?

Tom Caldwell wrote:

The thought behind the question of how much do we process our images led me to post a few of my own on that thread.

Thinking a bit harder it occurred to me that we spend far too much of our time trying to make real into "more real".

"Endeavour" replica

I think this one is genuinely great!

You make an excellent and extremely important point and I'm glad you did it, wrote it, and shared it.

I am sorry about these images, but I wanted to show the sort of "stuff" that I tend to capture.

There's no apologizing in art!!

There's an endless rabbit hole in pursuit of Quality (aka Perfection with a capital P) and falling down it can be really destructive because there is no such thing.

I ended up in a place where I didn't like my technically excellent camera, picked coolly and rationally for Quality, and I didn't like the way my photographs looked with it — they left me cold — and I didn't like taking photographs I didn't like, so I quit taking them altogether for a long time.

That's what the obsession with "more real" can cause.

But also… many of us loved film, right? I fell in love with photography on film. And film is never "real." Every single film stock is tuned for something specific. And no map is the territory anyway.

To that end, here's a definitely non-real, intentionally overexposed photo from my Pentax Q. It's fewer megapixels than today's cell phones. It's also not reeeeally what the scene looked like. It feels like a memory. And it's the first non-phone photograph I LOVED taking in years.

The real scene was much grittier but I like this better this way… and I overexposed it in camera, no editing

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow