Potential Firmware Bug - Nikkor MC 105

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DLZ-Au New Member • Posts: 4
Potential Firmware Bug - Nikkor MC 105

Hi All,

first time poster, long time reader.

I believe I've come across a firmware bug with the MC 105 macro lens.

On my Z6, when silent photography is on (SL = On), the focus ring is far less responsive and takes many more turns to rack from infinity to closest focus.

with SL OFF, it takes approx. 3/4 turn from MFD to infinity

with SL ON, it takes approx. 5-7 whole turns from MFD to infinity

I was running firmware 3.30 and thought it may have been due to this, particularly as FW 3.31 revision notes compatibility with the new 50 & 105 macro lenses.
However, the same result is still seen after updating the firmware.

This behaviour is not documented in the manual nor any other reference I could find, so I believe at this stage this is a bug.

I do understand the thinking to provide a more accurate way to manually focus as this is a macro lens, however why isn't this documented by Nikon? Why is the silent shutter the trigger to change and not it's own option?

Could other MC 105 owners please check and see if they see the same behaviour?

I have an open ticket with Nikon Support Australia and their reply so far has been to try setting the control ring to Focus, however that option doesn't exist with this lens... not a great experience to date.

Will keep you updated if I have anything further from Nikon Support.

Nikon Z MC 105mm F2.8 VR S Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow