Disable pre-flashes for use with strobes?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hawkmooon Regular Member • Posts: 154
Disable pre-flashes for use with strobes?

I just got a good deal on some used Westcott Strobelite strobes/lighting equipment, so figured I'd dip my toe into studio photography (I'm usually a sports/wildlife shooter). I can successfully use the strobes via a direct connection from my A1 (but not A7iii...as it doesn't have that port). However, I'd prefer to use the optical trigger of the strobes.

When I use my Godox 350 mounted to the hot shoe of both my A1 or A7iii, however, the strobes fire out of sync with the shutter from the camera. Searching online this seems to be the result of certain "pre-flashes" that some cameras fire...meaning the strobes fire too early. Sometimes I'm able to cover the flash with my hand in a way that must dim the preflash enough because then the strobes fire at the same time as the shutter and everything is perfect (just like when using the wired cable link). That's not a reliable or sustainable solution.

I have been unable to figure out how to disable any pre-flashes though. There's no menu setting for this and I have tried all the recommended advice that I've found on the internet, namely:

* Manual mode on the camera, fixed ISO.

* Turn off red-eye reduction

* Manual mode on the triggering flash (no TTL)

Anything else that I can try? As I am only messing around with this stuff I don't want to invest in much more equipment (like a wireless trigger that would go into the cable port on the strobes).

Thank you!

Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow