Is there room for the Z9 to innovate?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Is there room for the Z9 to innovate?

It would be nice to speculate and dream of where the Z9 may innovate in the context of Sony A1 and Canon R3. It seems hard to think of ways in which Z9 can differentiate itself; please share your thoughts and lets see if some of the speculation comes true!

Here are mine:

• AF and speed - it seems likely that Z9 will at least match the Sony A9, which must have been the target when Nikon probably started designing it. Will it match A1 and R3? I speculate that it is likely to given that for 8K video, anyway at least 24 fps with AF is needed. But I don't see Z9 exceeding A1 or R3 in electronic shutter mode; with mechanical shutter maybe there is room to improve on these two and match the EOS 1dx III.
  • Sensor tech - will the sensor be a Sony one? I think it is likely that the sensor will be derived from the one used in A1. Maybe though Nikon is going to use its own design - in which case - perhaps we could see innovation in light gathering. We know that Nikon demonstrated some cool sensor tech for 1-inch sensor that can increase dynamic range - but is it possible that Nikon can bring this tech to production this quickly? I doubt it, but at the same time, Nikon has tried to use its own sensor designs in the the top of the range cameras until now; perhaps there is still a chance that the sensor in Z9 will be a Nikon design with high dynamic range and low noise.
  • Battery life - I guess this is an open area for innovation, and maybe Nikon Z9 will show unheard of battery performance.
  • Video - this is an area again where Nikon can differentiate as it doesn't have a video camera business to cannibalize. Nikon has perhaps been the most rigorous in its Z lens lineup ensuring less focus breathing across the range. Is that all for nothing? Maybe the Z9 will bring some video capabilities we haven't seen in these cameras.

Your thoughts?

Casio Exilim EX-Z9 Sony a1 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow