Why Nikon is really updating the FTZ II for the Z9?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 978
Why Nikon is really updating the FTZ II for the Z9?

I have a feeling the FTZ II will not have any screw-driven function for older AF screw driven lenses. I think it will either have a slot for a drop-in filter and or it will allow for faster FPS and maybe even faster autofocus. For the the Z9 to do 30fps you'll need to use E type lenses or possibly shoot wide open? However G type lenses or lenses with an aperture controlled by a lever, would be limited to much, much lower FPS. (At least when stopping down) The D5 and D4s already limit non E-type lenses to 10fps when NOT shot wide open, as the lever can only move so fast and can cause exposure issues. Also Nikon may need to update the FTZ to an FTZ II in order to get the fastest autofocus possible. It's true the camera plays a big role in autofocus, but Nikon promised better than D6 autofocus, which means incredible speed. I and many others noticed up to about a 50% drop in AF speed using the FTZ on adapted lenses, some less, but always slower. It's very possible that not all of that loss was due to the current Z camera's having slower or worse autofocus performance and I find it fitting or suspicious that Nikon is releasing this with the Z9, while claiming the Z9 will surpass the D6 in every way. Could this maybe be Nikon admitting that the current FTZ adapter was limiting AF speed, either purposely or just due to bad design or some sort of unintentional lag that's occurring?

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon D5 +4 more
Casio Exilim EX-Z9 Nikon D4S Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow