Need help with select-subject issue!

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
charley5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,582
Need help with select-subject issue!

Hi Everyone:

I am having difficulty with the select-subject-invert function in Photoshop. I have portraits whose backgrounds I want to darken, so I isolate the portrait with select-subject, and then invert so that i could manipulate only the background. The problem is that the outline of the select falls short of encapsulating the entire figure so i get an artificial looking border, which is difficult to hide. Please see below (ear mostly, but when enlarged you can also see it at edge of the face). This is very frustrating. I think it is because my DOF is shallow and so the edges of the face look mushy and the select function has trouble knowing where the edges are. The shallow DOF is integral to the types of pictures that i am taking. I would appreciate any help in terms of how I can avoid this problem and possible alternatives if I cannot do anything about it! I have included another image which shows my style of B&W images. Thanks a bunch,

-Charles

charley5's gear list:charley5's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow