Anyone excited about an FTZ2?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
DaveR43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,560
Re: Anyone excited about an FTZ2? (...FTZf?)

Atahualpa wrote:

It is rumored Nikon is working on a second version of the FTZ adapter. I assume that it will include an AF servo so that Z mount users can use the full legacy of all F mount lenses. What else could they be adding? M/AF switch doesn't make a lot of sense.

On the one hand, there is a huge second hand market for these lenses and especially the older AF lenses sell quite cheap. On the other hand, the performance of these lenses is often much worse compared to native lenses. I mean what happens when you have bad corner performance, can you also reliably focus in that region?

Is there any lens that you would be looking forward to using with an updated FTZ2?

As a number have replied, it seems unlikely that the rumoured FTZ2 will incorporate an AF servo to support screw-driven AF lenses; more likely it will a redesign that removes the tripod foot and be optimised for top-end FX telephoto prime and zoom lenses on the Z9.

However, recalling that the Nikon Df actually incorporated extensive support for legacy Nikkors,  it seems to me that the logical time to introduce an FTZ that supported screw-driven AF lenses would be alongside a development of the Zfc concept to a FF retro product, commonly assumed to be called the Zf.

If so, perhaps the FTZ for screw-driven AF lenses would be called the FTZf?

-- hide signature --

DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow