Just got my 70-300, I'm impressed

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
surfoxy
surfoxy Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Just got my 70-300, I'm impressed

Grabbed it at Best Buy last night, took a couple weeks to get it. Extremely first impressions are really favorable. I haven't done anything but quickly handle it and take a quick shot this morning between meetings, but the initial handling impressed.

Good
Focusing is fast and SILENT. Amazingly quiet. Zoom ring is stiff, but in a good way. Feels very high quality. I didn't really know about the focus lock mechanism, that seems cool but haven't used it yet. Overall has the expected weight and is really just a solid-feeling lens. Amazed by the steadiness of it compared to other OIS lenses when looking through the viewfinder, it really steadies the image and feels super cool in hand to have this feeling. Bokeh I haven't really examined in any detail, but quickly scanning around the front yard it seems to have a really nice look to it. 300mm (x 1.5) is a fantastic amount of reach.

Bad
Lens hood is harder to snap on than other lenses, it's pretty fiddly.

Quickest of images, SOOC, X-T2. I didn't even really look at the exposure settings, it might not be quite right, but thought I should put up some kind of image. EDIT: Yeah, looks like I had the EV set to - 1/3 and it didn't need it.

Really looking forward to taking this do some surfing shots from the beach.

-- hide signature --

Chris

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow