Sony camera adding coloured circles to photos

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
emma_2021
emma_2021 Regular Member • Posts: 169
Sony camera adding coloured circles to photos

Hi all,

I was taking photos at home to test my new lens, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, on my Sony A6000 last night.

I took the following photo and saw coloured circles on the LCD immediately:

To obtain this JPEG, I shot in raw, opened the raw file in Lightroom, made no changes, and simply exported a JPEG at 100%. I can see the circles on my phone screen easily at 100% brightness, just as I could see them easily on the camera's LCD at the time of capture.

Yes, I know the photo is seriously underexposed!

To make these circles easier to see on the forum, here is a crop with +2 exposure and +100 dehaze:

This appears to be an issue with Sony cameras of various models and also perhaps cameras made by other manufacturers. This issue has been discussed many times before, and the following thread is a good summary:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4443749

The reason I'm posting is to ask whether there is any update on this issue in 2021. Has Sony confirmed that this is a problem? How should I try to avoid this?

People usually recommend disabling Shading Compensation in-camera because otherwise the problem is worse—and Shading Compensation is even baked into the raw file—but I'm getting mixed results: sometimes it makes the issue less visible, sometimes it makes it more visible.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow