Canon R3 motorsports AF tracking - useful?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mkfed
mkfed Forum Member • Posts: 87
Canon R3 motorsports AF tracking - useful?

I've seen some reviews/presentations of the R3 and they show this new motorsports tracking feature they offer. Seems to work quite effortless, also just "animal" mode seems to find the eye of whatever animal - I wonder if this is something that Sony considers improving/adding on. Could be the distinguishing feature of a future A9III maybe, adding motorsports and other fancy auto-tracking? (pun intended ;))

As of now Sony allows to switch between people, animals and birds. And I am quite happy with the AF tracking and touch to tracking feature - however I never tracked race-cars or anything really fast, only mountainbikers. So it could be that those special modes aren't needed on a Sony? What do you guys think?

The thread about the "select AF point location with your eye" in this forum is interesting too, probably nice to have for team-sports and event photography. Generally I am happy that there is now some actual competition happening in mirrorless camera space, hopefully pushing all brands to improve their ease of use. I remember handing my A6500 to non-photog people and they would miss focus or not understand how it works. Giving the A1 to another person, with Face + eye-AF switched on, resulted in sharp pictures every time... So I am not complaining, the tech is already great, but there's room for improvement especially on the software front!

mkfed's gear list:mkfed's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a1 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +7 more
Sony a1 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow