Covered Bridge

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Joachim Wulfers
OP Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 5,319
Re: Joachim,

zackiedawg wrote:

Beautiful bridge and lovely series. Amazing woodwork, and nice to see some old-world craftsmanship being used (though not always respected, apparently!).

Personal opinion here: I strongly dislike the whole graffiti trend - if it was in certain designated areas maybe, but especially in Europe it's an absolute scourge on amazing historical buildings, landmarks, monuments, etc - and it's tolerated if not almost encouraged. Not sure if Canada goes that route now or not - I haven't noticed any out-of-control graffiti allowed in Quebec City, and Ottawa and Montreal seems to keep it away from historic buildings and landmarks at least.

It's actually painful to me to see graffiti on a lovely bridge built in that classic style, all wood, just like the originals, and in such a lovely setting. Let graffiti stick to dense urban areas and modern concrete buildings if it's going to be allowed.

Justin, I am glad you liked the photos of the covered bridge. It is barely 30 years old but it became a "landmark" since it also of great help to many students who walk or cycle to the university. You are correct, we live in strange times were defacing, damaging destroying/burning is accepted and even encouraged by some "learning" institutions under the guise of cancel culture.

I have not encountered the defacing of landmarks in Canada as much as it is happening in Europe. However churches have also been burnt in Canada.

Quebec City is known for its murals and Montreal, Toronto have some interesting graffiti alleys. I plan on doing a photo series of murals in Hamilton, ON where this type of art has been very much encouraged.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow