Have I successfully photographed Saturn's rings or not?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RJDG14 Forum Member • Posts: 93
Have I successfully photographed Saturn's rings or not?

I was in my back garden last night with my DSLR and a 210mm lens, and Saturn and Jupiter were visible in the sky. While 210mm isn't great for astrophotography, I attempted using my tripod to see if I could get any results from taking photos of Saturn and Jupiter at a bit 210mm or a bit under, and managed to get this photo of Saturn:

If I do a tiny bit of sharpening, contrast alteration and blow the image up, that image looks like this:

Those sort of look a little like its rings but I am not 100% that I've captured any detail from it, as the lens I was using tends to be a tiny bit out of focus when shooting very distant objects (this was why I shot these photos from a bit under 210mm to mitigate the problem). At the same time, this characteristic was visible on multiple photos I got of it (this happens to be one of the best), and I didn't see it when using my tripod to try and take pictures of Jupiter or other stars visible in the sky. This was about as good a result as I was able to get from Jupiter, which was to the left of Saturn:

It's difficult for me to know if I've had any actual luck or not with either of these, though I know that both pictures were taken of the respective planets as I used a sky app to find their positions.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow