Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
forg1vr Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: Is anybody going to use the 40 mm f2 on the Z50/Zfc?

So far my only prime was the 35 1.8, and it served me well as a lense I could get a nice Bokeh with, and for outdoor people/portrait photography. Used it on many many occasions.

Since my daughter was born last year, she is of course my favorite subject - and since many things are still happening indoors, the 35 was just too narrow.

So I thought about the 28 2.8 - and had similar reservations about the aperture, and its not available yet anyways.

So what did I do? I bought the Viltrox 23, it arrived yesterday. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet, but since I also use my Z50 as a webcam for work, that focal length is already working out a lot better.

Further testing has to wait a bit, since I have to send my Z50 to Nikon for a repair of the rear LCD (I openend another thread on this topic).

Will I buy the 40 2.0? Mh, doubt it in all honesty. Sure, its compact. But in my mind, if I take a single compact lense e.g. to walk in the city, it's too tight for me. I would never be able to capture e.g. any building compleltey. And it is somewhat close to the 35 1.8. And that lense rarely has worked out for me in a city.

Since I carry my camera around my neck, 1cm more or less on the lense won't make that much of a difference to me. For walking around, the 23 1.4 Viltrox is, to me, a better candidate.

And if I look longer, yes, I'm still interested in that 18-140 Nikon has announced. And for portraits, the Viltrox 58 would be a contender. Even though not really a use case for me if I am being honest with myself.

So long story short, similar to what others in this thread have said, I think Nikon missed the boat in regards to focal lengths and aperture. They try to capture the DX audience with the FX lenses, but for me, ignoring my GAS that I have for the 40 2.0, those lense will probably not be coming to me. Gotta say it: Viltrox made the better move for DX users.

forg1vr's gear list:forg1vr's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow