What if there were a 20-700/2.8 zoom?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
antonio-salieri Junior Member • Posts: 28
What if there were a 20-700/2.8 zoom?

I have a 70-200/2.8 lens. That's pretty common; I'm sure many of you use one as well. But sometimes when I mangle the numbers in my brain they come out as 20-700.

Of course, there is no such thing as a 20-700/2.8. (Although that certainly would cover the bases!) Theoretically, though, how compactly could such a lens be constructed, how much would it weigh, how big would the largest elements have to be and (here's the real kicker) how much would it cost?

I'm no expert in lens engineering, but I suspect the answers would be some combination of big, heavy and expensive. The only lens with something like this zoom range is the Sigma 60-600/4.5-6.3. But this lens would be much faster, of course.

Of course, lenses that are this fast at that kind of length are very expensive, heavy and rare in any case. I can mostly think of the Sigma 200-500/2.8.

antonio-salieri's gear list:antonio-salieri's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow