Replaced a Macbook Pro 2011 battery

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Replaced a Macbook Pro 2011 battery

My Macbook Pro 2011 battery died last year, as in, the computer would turn off perceptively instantly when the power cord was disconnected. I decided to try and resurrect it by getting a battery on eBay. Here is the new battery in the laptop:

The battery was advertised as new and genuine and cost about $100CDN. I don't know if it really is genuine, but I looked at it very closely from all angles and examined the text, and it definitely looks genuine. There is not one thing that looks different from the original battery. If I had to guess I would guess it's from some surplus stock of these old batteries. But who knows.

I charged it up and it works. From my initial tests I am expecting about 3-5hrs on a charge, depending on use and screen brightness. This computer is no longer supported by Apple, so I am running Linux Mint 20 on it so that the software is up to date and relatively safe. One other component I replaced last year was the fan, which I got for about $10 also on eBay. The old fan worked but it was wobbly and made a loud whining noise.

If this laptop lasts another three years, I will be very happy with this life extension. It is rather slow by today's standards but can still do light photo editing on trips, emails, and web browsing.

-- hide signature --

My personal (noncommercial) website: https://jpolak.org/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow