Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 + SpeedBooster vs Zuiko 150mm f2

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
faunagraphy
faunagraphy Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 + SpeedBooster vs Zuiko 150mm f2

Every now and then, I get a mild case of GAS and the siren song of the Zuiko 150mm f2 starts drawing me in.

I own a Canon FD 300mm f2.8L which is a great lens, but hardly used ever since I got the 300mm Pro. I have it paired with a Mikaton Zyongi focal reducer for times when I need f2. Honestly, it affects the IQ but the Metabones FD-MFT SpeedBooster costs more than the 300mm f2.8 itself!

Oddly enough, the Metabones SpeedBooster for EF lenses is cheaper and provides the advantage of AF.

So here's a question: what if a nice lens like the 70-200mm f2.8L or its Sigma/Tamron equivalents in EF mount were paired with the Metabones?

Advantages I can see are:

• 49-140mm f2 lens, with the flexibility of a zoom, instead of a 150mm f2.
  • Cheaper lens. With the SpeedBooster, this is still cheaper than the Zuiko 150mm used. Adapter can of course be used with other lenses.
  • Lighter than the Olympus by around 300 gm.
  • Can AF reasonably fast on non-PDAF bodies.

Disadvantages:

• Bokeh perhaps not as good (whatever).
  • IQ not as good as the prime (but still great).

Do you see a problem with this? Would the 70-200 + Metabones be a better option than Zuiko 150mm?

Is there a catch?

-- hide signature --

"Do not cut down forests where tigers dwell, or banish tigers from the forest. Forests will perish without tigers, and tigers perish without forests. For as forests shelter tigers, tigers protect the wilderness."
- The Mahabharat, Udyoga Parva (Book 5), Chapter 29, 47-48

faunagraphy's gear list:faunagraphy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +23 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow