The Canon 100-400 is a f/5.6-8 - Yuck

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,297
Re: The Canon 100-400 is a f/5.6-8 - Yuck

cosmicnode wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Jeff Klofft wrote:

I sure hope Nikon doesn't go that route. I'd really like a constant f/4, but would be OK with a 4-5.6.

OK... But given the price, it's probably a reasonable set of specs. I mean it's a $650 lens. Yes 5.6-8 is slow, and if you adapt to APS-C it's slower,

How is it slower, if you are using a Z7 in crop mode you are simply using the centre of the sensor, aperture and focal length do not change. The lens does not magically lose speed ,you are simply cropping

From an aperture/DOF standpoint.  5.6-8 is the FF Aperture range, so 100-400 on an APS-C is 160-640 f/9 (basically) to f/12.8.  Equivalent FL and aperture do change on a crop sensor.  I'm nto sure if the R series does auto crop but it wouldn't matter anyway.

but a 100-400 for $650 isn't bad, and if optically it's good, even better. I wouldn't personally discount a lens just because it's slow. Many shooters I know shoot in that range anyway, with many shooting f/8 majority of the time to ensure DOF especially at longer FLs.

-- hide signature --

(If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread, so please PM me if you have a question.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow