R3's Eye Control AF not for all eyes?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
spec68 Regular Member • Posts: 292
R3's Eye Control AF not for all eyes?

I was reading THIS article on the R3's Eye Control AF which quote's Canon saying "... it won’t work with all eye shapes and physical conditions." At the end of the article there is this bullet point summary (bold is mine):

• If you have perfect vision and no astigmatism, cataracts, or other visual conditions, Eye Control AF will work just fine.

That was the first time I read that "requirement". Anyone have any more details on this, specifically astigmatism? I can't tell if there is any legitimacy here, or to what degree, or if the article is click bait.

"No" astigmatism is a pretty severe limitation because it includes all levels from slight to severe. But that's what the author wrote, presumably from information Canon told him. It would be a good information to know exactly at what level astigmatism starts to affect eye control AF before people plunk down $6K seeing since it's a major feature. I'd certainly be disappointed if I spent $6K not realizing it's not compatible w/ my eyeballs.

I haven't seen any *asterisks on the Canon site where eye control AF is mentions so I'm wondering if this article is overhyping the problem. If it's a real barrier I would think Canon would disclose this and give guidance directly, no? I mean the last thing Canon wants is people buying the R3 and then complaining the eye control AF doesn't work when it actually does work fine, just not with their eye condition.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow