OT: Binoculars for birds?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
acfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,181
Re: OT: Binoculars for birds?

olrett wrote:

acfo wrote:

I found this comparison site quite helpful: https://www.allbinos.com/

Thanks! For the past week I've been knee-deep in binocular stuff, I thought I had found just about all sites there are, but I was mistaken.

Concerning the question if it is really worth paying 2000 Gold Sovereigns for a top of the line bino: The Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 of my wife makes all our other binos (Zeiss & Leica) look out of focus, so yes for stationary usage and in the dusk those are the ones I would go for. However for out and about the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 are the ones I prefer because they are 95% as excellent in daylight and fit in a jacket pocket.

Absolutely. If I were to survey owls in dark woods I would of course consider spending more. But for identifying a far-away bird once a month that my 8.5x21 can't reach...

If the bird is unknown to me I take a picture for easier identification at home. Oly 75-300 ... because it is small and light and good enough in daylight. Is there a pattern here?

Having said that, the replies here have gotten me to look at stabilized binoculars which weren't originally in my field of view at all. I think the Kite Optics look interesting -- no gooey coating, no need to keep that button pressed, much lighter than the Canons and the Fujinons -- but colour fringing.

There's an article on allbinos on a Fujinon which put me off going for a stabilized bino. If you get to test the stabilized Kite Optics I would be interested what you have to say about it.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
AVG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow