Original OMD EM5--buy glass or ??

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
expat42451 Regular Member • Posts: 116
Original OMD EM5--buy glass or ??

I have an OMD EM5 I bought in 2012 before leaving the US. I currently live in Ecuador. Camera has a little less than 13,000 shutter actuations. My photography is mainly places....landscapes i.e mountains, meadows &c--- and macro. The lenses I have are the kit 12-50 3.5-6.3 and a 40-150 4 -5.6. Here in Ecuador we pay as much as 100% import duty on camera equipment. Being retired and on a limited budget one looks for alternatives.....

Someone here in the community has 3 Nikon lenses he says are comparatively new---an af-s Nikkor 35mm prime 1.8; an af-s dx vr Nikkor 55-200 f 4-5.6 and a Nikkor 16-55 f 3.5-5.6. He is asking $625 for all 3.

I understand that with an adapter I would be able to shoot these lenses on my EM5 body but I am assuming (possibly erroneously) in strictly manual mode i.e no electronic control of focus or aperture, is this correct?

Given that one is able to buy a new OMD EM1 ii for less than $1000 now and given the Oly glass that I have-- is a better way forward i.e. something that will make a discernible difference in image quality to just shoot the lenses that I have now with an EM1 ii?

I have always heard that anyone shooting should buy glass first and a body second. The glass I have has done yeoman duty but its not pro glass and I am aware of its limitations, I see them in my work. So would an adapter and the Nikon glass be superior to the lens I have image wise considering I am shooting with just CDAF and the somewhat limited EM5 viewfinder can make manual focusing difficult ( I shoot most of my work in manual because of CDAF and DOF limitations given the lens F stop limitations and what noise higher iso's produce). On the other side of the equation the EM1ii has a newer higher res sensor, improved PDAF auto focus and a host of other improvements over my now almost 10 year old body and lenses...although I will still be limited by the lens part of the equation with my Oly glass...... I would love to spring for both a new body and some pro glass but it isnt in the cards, at least not in any sane manner any time soon.

Which way forward is a way to make a discernible difference in my image quality? If it is to buy an adapter and the Nikon lenses, which adapter to buy and what would be the limitations shooting these Nikon lenses ?

Many thanks.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow