X rite colorchecker passport magenta tint

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Steve BB New Member • Posts: 22
Re: X rite colorchecker passport magenta tint

ggbutcher wrote:

Alex Marks wrote:

Wow, I'm doing repro work and this thread is basically mind numbing. Is this all to say using the large color checker and the xrite software is for the birds? My reds are hopeless and currently so am I. I only ask this because it seems as tho none of these responses address a way to get a solid profile from this color checker without getting heavily technical and using a spectrometer. Yikes. Also, greens are a problem for me. Just to make it real confusing I'm using cross polarization as well.

I'd dump the x-rite software. A ColorChecker with a proper calibration file should give you decent results. With that, I'd recommend Lumariver software, as it has the same processing core as dcamprof, a tool I've used extensively to do all that technical stuff. Lumariver will make either DCP or ICC profiles from your ColorChecker target shots that are colorimetrically consistent with the target.

http://www.lumariver.com/

<mind-numbing>
Now, if you are really interested in doing precise reproduction work, getting a spectral sensitivity dataset for your camera is the way to go. With this data you won't need target shots; you'll use this data with a training color reference dataset to produce LUT-based camera profiles, which will give you better color transforms to render destinations. Indeed, with this workflow you could make a training dataset which included patches measured from pigments of the artwork like Iilah suggested earlier. To do this sort of thing, you'd need dcamprof and would need to learn how to use the command line.
</mind-numbing>

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the Lumariver folks; I just use its core, dcamprof, and it is excellent software IMHO.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to download this. I'm just looking for something that is better than xrite but not as precise as 'mind-numbing'

Getting samples of the artwork or paint to make datasets: I can't see how this is feasible realistically as a gigging photographer, as I shoot somewhere different each day, not all the artworks are paintings. And if they are paint, then there's acrylic, oil, how much thinner did they use? is the painting glazed? What colour was the base gesso underneath the paint etc etc etc.

Steve BB's gear list:Steve BB's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow