The Canon 100-400 is a f/5.6-8 - Yuck

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,995
Re: The Canon 100-400 is a f/5.6-8 - Yuck

Jeff_0000 wrote:

As someone who has never tried out wildlife photography but cannot afford the price of the telephoto lenses, this lens may become attractive to me.

The aperture doesn't sound impressive but for the price and size seems a nice entry for me to try out wildlife photography. Surely I can adapt the F-mount/ EF mount lenses from Sigma/Tamron but the adapter makes the weight and size less portable to carry. The native lens also have other benefits over the DSLR lenses (like silent and smooth focusing, minimisation of focus breathing and full capacity of VR performance).

Alternatively I can choose Sigma 100-400 FE with E to Z adapter to reduce the length and size. However, the autofocus/ VR performance may not be decent for wildlife photography.

Back in 2013 when the AF-S 80-400/4.5-5.6G VR came out, I was willing to pay the $2500 it was back then because third party options were few and very much inferior optically and in focusing speed.

That is no longer the case - I recently bought the Sigma 100-400/5-6.3 DG DN (got it $900 on sale) and it really is optically as good as my AF-S 80-400 G lens and has very fast focusing. It may be a third of a stop slower at f/6.3 but it is a lot lighter and smaller in diameter. The Sigma also has much less focus breathing giving a larger image at closer focus distances.

The Sigma 100-400 DG DN does not work well (IMO unusable unless you shoot potted plants) with either the Techart TZE-01 or Megadap ETZ11 (I have both). Rather than waste the $250 on either of the adapters, put it towards a used Sony A6400 (maybe $650). The A6400 has Sony's real time tracking and will deliver much higher fps than the Z cameras with full tracking.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sony a6400 Sony a7C Sony a7 IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow