Is continuous shooting a copout?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Merlin5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Is continuous shooting a copout?

There's a small discussion on a Flickr street photography group, and one of the admins said,

"I've never used continuous shutter, I think that is a cop out and unnecessary in Street Shooting. It's great in Sports Photography where there are fast moving subjects and you need to nail the perfect moment, the bails coming off in a cricket match or the action in Formula 1. But my view is it shows lack of camera craft and technique if you have to resort to that in street shooting, even grab shots, sometimes they work sometimes they don't, but I find the more I do them the more they seem to work, even at single frame shutter setting."

What would be the consensus here on continuous shooting lacking camera craft in street photography? Certainly it can be argued that the Magnum masters like HCB got their decisive moments from a single shot and yeah, that is the best way of course. But if your camera can do a reasonably fast fps rate, I'm not sure it's fair to say it's wrong to use continuous mode and fire off a few consecutive frames is it? I wonder if the modern masters such as Alan Schaller ever use continuous shooting.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow