Removing coating to fix a water-damaged lens

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhillyS
PhillyS New Member • Posts: 3
Removing coating to fix a water-damaged lens

Hi everyone.

I'm using a Fujifilm X-T3 with the new XF 70-300mm telelens. I love it, with a x1.4 teleconverter it's great for birding and super portable.

A few weeks ago I got caught in a heavy rain with no way to protect my gear. Water actually got inside the lens (between the inner and outer glass), so bad that I couldn't get the humidity out by myself and I had to wait for a few days before I could bring it to a certified Fuji shop to send it to repair.

I'll save you the disappointment I had regarding the fact that the lens was supposed to be "Water Resistant"—it definitely does not mean i "waterproof", and it really is a big rain I got caught into.

Today I got a reply from the repair department. They are offering me too options:

• Repairing the lens, which requires removing 10 to 20% of the coating, for 55 USD
  • Replacing the water-damaged inner parts* of the lens, for 360 USD (* they sent me this schema)

I've asked for more info about what removing coating means. According to them, if they remove 10-20% of the coating:

• It will still be water resistant
  • It will still be fine for regular cleaning (I use Hakuba lenspens)
  • On the optical side of things, they aren't sure if it will affect the image quality. But they said that in "extreme environments" (whatever it means), scattering effect and glare effect might occur.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I initially purchased the lens for 800 USD. So basically it's either paying an extra 5% for a quick fix or paying an extra 45% for getting it good as new, which stings a bit.

Of course it's my money so you can't decide for me, but any advice feedback on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T3 Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow